Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Today Show Mention

It happened- we were mentioned on the Today show this morning! It is a milestone for us- our first mention on a nationally broadcast television show. It was only a brief mention, but it still counts! I received about a dozen phone calls and emails today from people who heard about us on the show and wanted to donate their stuffed animals. It doesn't seem real actually that we were mentioned on the show- I know the segment wasn't about us, but out of all the charities that the author could have mentioned, she included us and that is pretty fantastic.

Today was otherwise a pretty steady day, I was working on calendar sales- I sold 20, I did our November newsletter and sent it to our GD for her to format it. At least the November news was done on time, without the drama that the October newsletter became (aka Fall News Part I) and I was working on the info that needs to go on our new display board for events. Michelle did a nice one for us a couple of years ago, but it is out of date now and showing its age. I have a pretty good rebate coupon from Staples so that will help with getting a new one printed. I'm sending it to Lisa for her deisgn expertise. It will last us a while and its important to have a good looking, high quality display board too.

It has been really frustrating lately with people that don't call when they say they are going to or just don't call back at all. I deal with that all the time and it is incredibly annoying. I always try not to let it show that I'm annoyed and I keep following up with people, trying to walk the fine line between being persistent, but not obnoxious. I know I'm not perfect when it comes to getting back to people, so I don't expect perfection in other people, but it is really frustrating. I spend a ton of time daily making follow up calls- and these are not all fundraising calls, they're even calls to new police and fire departments. I understand that people are busy, but a quick phone call isn't really that big a deal. Dealing with people that don't call me back when they say they will is one of the most frustrating parts of my job. I've found that because I deal with it every day, I've actually become less tolerant of it. I don't expect everyone to help our work, but all the person has to say is that they can't help and then I can move on and not waste anymore time pursuing the matter. I would literally have an extra 1-2 hours per day if I didn't have to follow up with people that I'd already called.

Anyways, enough on that. I'm heading to bed. I'm up in Quincy tomorrow afternoon with the calendars- wish me luck please! I went to bed 45 mins earlier last night and that, coupled with an extra cup of tea in the early afternoon, really helped me today. So, now I'm on a mission to be in bed by 12:30 and since it is 12:21, I'd better get moving. Until tomorrow friends..

No comments: