Monday, April 9, 2012

Stresses

Well, this was a bit of a roller coaster day- the only thing that matters is that we ended up on the upside of the roller coaster- but it was a little rough this afternoon. Things started out with my usual slow Monday self. I scheduled our next stuffed animal donation to Worcester Fire, then was working on Anniversary sponsors. I called one of our event participants to follow up on an email that I sent a few days ago- I ended up with a major problem that I hadn't expected. I'm glad I made the call because otherwise I wouldn't have known about the problem until later when it would have been even worse. Less than an hour later, I ended up with a different problem also related to the event. I don't want to go into details, but the good thing is that both problems were resolved and things are fine. It was so stressful though- for a short time, I was ready to have a meltdown. The most frustrating part is that problems arise even when you work really hard to set things up for success- communicate well, follow up, etc.- do everything that you can possibly do to prevent things like this from happening- but it still happens. I am relieved that things worked out and we are still on track for a great event. I'm also very appreciative of the people that helped get the problems taken care of. We sold out of tickets on Friday which is awesome- that is a record for the earliest we've had tickets sold out for. I keep getting emails from people wanting tickets, I wish I could get them tickets, but due to fire regulations, we can't add anymore tickets.

Events are a ton of work. I never appreciated that until I started organizing them. It is so easy to criticize events that one goes to, but when you step into the other side and see the amount of work that goes into them- you end up with a new found appreciation. Events rely on so many people coming together and doing what they need to do.

Well, that's the latest for tonight- there is a lot more to blog about, but I'm getting tired.  This will be  a non grapefruit night- my brother's leftover chocolate birthday cake is in the kitchen along with whipped cream and a mix of strawberries and raspberries- that is what I will be munching on in a few minutes. Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: