Monday, August 6, 2012

Good News

Well, good news today- we have a speaker for our Anniversary Celebration. Richard Lodge, the editor of the Metro West Daily News will be speaking. I've met him before- almost 10 years ago when I was teaching a summer writing program for children. I've always remembered him because he was so nice and really connected with the kids that he met and gave a tour to. I'm happy he is on board to speak and I think he'll do a great job. He must have a lot of interesting stories to tell. I'm also really glad that I've the speaker situation taken care of. It has been dragging on for quite a few months. We are now one step closer to a great event!

I've noticed a funny trend this year with the date auction with people signing up for the date auction, but then never sending in their info and not responding to follow up emails. These are all people that have reached out to me to participate or were recommended by their friends. There are always some people that never send in their info every year, but there are a lot more this year. I'm not sure why someone would reach out to sign up, but then not respond or why someone would tell their friend they would participate, but then ignore emails about the event. Obviously, people can change their mind, but a quick email to say that there not going to participate is much more helpful than ignoring the emails, so I'm left not knowing if they even received it.

I thought that our Stuff magazine ad for the Date Auction was all set. I really liked how it looked when I viewed it online, but then I decided to print it out so I could make sure the QR code worked. The ad was scaled to size and when I looked at that way, I realized that it still needed work. The ad isn't popping enough. We need to make the logos smaller- which is unfortunate but necessary. I'm also going to remove the ticket price which isn't absolutely necessary so we can make another part of it larger. I'm really glad that I printed it- I don't like printing because it wastes paper and ink, but considering this is going to be a print ad- I need to make sure that in the future, I always print them first.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. Tomorrow, there is a lot more event work for the two big fall events, our fashion show fundraiser this month and I need to make some serious grant progress. I also need to work on contacting more police and fire departments for donations. Now, I'm off to watch some more Olympics coverage- I love watching the Olympics, it is so impressive see what these amazing athletes can accomplish. It is also a lot of fun to watch sports that I never otherwise would watch. Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: