Thursday, December 20, 2012

Touching Donation

Today's donation to the Boston Public Health Commission's Entre Familia shelter was so touching. I got to meet a bunch of children which is something that I rarely get to do, so that made it particularly special. I didn't realize that they were going to be giving our items directly to the children and their moms right then. I thought I was dropping them off and taking a photo with the person who was coordinating the donations- pretty standard procedure for our donations. I figured the party was at a later date. It turns out that the party for the children was happening right when I made the donation and our items were the only ones for the kids. We displayed all our items on the tables and the children got to come up with their mothers and choose their gifts. I brought a supply of really lovely stuffed animals, small toys (mostly matchbox cars and a couple of games), coloring books, large packs of crayons and reading books. I wish I had understood that these were the only items the kids were getting and I would have bought some more toys, especially for the older children. The children were so lovely and happy to choose their gifts. The mothers were equally happy and they were so grateful as well. The mothers care so much about their children. One mom was so happy to get a new book to read to her child, she said she had run out of books. Another mother carefully selected the book for her child- she wanted to have a big book for her child, so there was plenty for her to read to the child. A number of the mothers are pregnant as well. I gave one of the pregnant mothers a cute little teddy bear that was super soft and perfect for little babies.

It really is something to think of the challenges the mothers must have faced that got them to where they are and how tough it must have been for them and their little children. Here are a couple of photos with some of the mothers and their children. A number of the children weren't able to attend, so the staff put aside items for them. There were also extra items left over for other children that come into the shelter.
 I was so happy that we were able to help with providing holidays gifts for these children. I definitely want to do it again next year and provide more items- particularly for the children who are older.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I hope everyone has a very happy Christmas! I'm looking forward to celebrating with my mom and siblings. Merry Christmas friends!

No comments: