Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Good News

I have readers! It still amazes me that people read my blog- thank you! It is so cool to know that people actually take the time to read about Project Smile. So what happened today? Good news on the date auction- we have a new platinum sponsor! It is a large financial services company, I'm really happy to have them on board. They originally were interested in a gold sponsorship, but they wanted to have a table at the event and that is only available with a platinum sponsorship. When I was speaking with the lady this morning, for a second I thought about letting them have a table even though they were doing a smaller sponsorship, but then I immediately thought- no, I can't do that. It's not fair to everyone else who sponsored the event, our sponsorship levels were set months ago and they aren't meant to be changed for one particular sponsor. I was a little nervous while I waited to hear back from her, but she emailed a few hours later with the good news. It is great to have the new sponsorship, together they really help cover a large portion of event expenses.

Some unexpected news today- the Sheraton Hotel in Milford (our location for the Anniversary Celebration) underwent a name change today to the Doubletree Hotel by Hilton. I called them today to follow up about the Beija Rum sponsorship and the guy answered the phone with the new hotel name. I was shocked and immediately worried if our event was still OK. I spoke with the new sales manager and everything is fine for our event- all booked events will be transferred over without issue. We already paid a deposit for the event and have a signed contract. I didn't get an answer to my question, but I'm glad to find out about the new name. Our web guy made the changes immediately- I love how quickly he does our updates, it is awesome. It was kind of funny timing, because last night I emailed our event tickets to Staples so they could print them out. Thankfully, I only had a relatively small quantity of tickets printed. I have an event tomorrow to attend, so I wanted to bring the tickets for the anniversary event and date auction to try to get some sold.

I was thinking tonight when I was driving home in the pouring rain about how much time I spend worrying about work things. It gets frustrating because I will worry about things, then it will work out and I will be annoyed that I wasted so much time worrying about it. However, I do think that worry can be a good thing when it motivates you to make sure that things turn out right. But I also think I could do with a whole lot less worrying.

I read an article in the WSJ today and found a quote from a campaign manager that I really like: "Our goal is perfection, we will never achieve it. Our standard is excellence, we will achieve it every day."

I actually found it to be somewhat inspirational. I was reading the article this afternoon when I sitting at my desk eating lunch, I was feeling kind of tired and was dragging on writing our monthly newsletter, but after reading that quote, it inspired me to finish up the newsletter and make a ton of calls that I needed to do.

Anyways, I'm off to cut tickets (they came on single sheets, 8 tickets to a page), get some things together for tomorrow, write my list, eat blueberries and go to bed. I was so hungry when I got home earlier- devoured cheese and crackers and left over veges, and now I'm ready for the blueberries... until next time friends.

No comments: