Monday, July 7, 2008

A New Week and Expansion

Sorry for not blogging again last week- Thursday was a lot better than Wednesday was. There are a lot of ups and downs with this job- even during the same day. Even though I know its just the way things are, I still can't help but get down sometimes when things are struggling.

We got two new auction items on Thursday, including a really awesome item. Channel 7 donated a tour of the news station with one of their lead anchors, watching the live broadcast of the news, then sitting in the control room as they put the the newscast on the air, and then dinner with the anchor and three of your friends! What a great item!

There was another issue with the date auction that surfaced last Thursday- a relatively big issue, but it looks like it was resolved this afternoon. I can't go into the details of it, but it was related to event sponsorship. I am glad that it was resolved though and we are able to keep moving forward. We also got some good news today, a local cable television show is on board as an event sponsor- they are going to be helping promote the event, cover the event and recruit single ladies. So that was really good news.

So, remember how last week I thought that I had added up our anniversary event sponsorship dollars incorrectly? Well, when I went to turn the computer on this morning, it suddenly dawned on me that I had forgotten to add a certain business that had committed at the $250 level to our spreadsheet- I had counted them with my original tally, but didn't add them to the list- so I hadn't really made a mistake! I am only $450 shy of our sponsorship goal, which is actually really good.

We're expanding our services even more and will now work with DSS (Department of Social Services) to provide stuffed animals and books for children who are entering foster care. I spoke with the director of the program which puts together basic items into small packages for the children to take with them to foster care and she was really excited to have our items. She explained how most of the children enter foster care with no possessions. They have a very limited budget, so can only give the children a few basic things to take with them. I can't imagine how traumatic an experience that must be for a child, I'm glad that we will be able to help- even if it is only in a small way.

Well, I am off to exercise (I didn't have time this morning), write my list and read- I got some new books from the library today and really excited to start reading. The new Joyce Carol Oates book is one of them. So until tomorrow friends...

No comments: