Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Progress

Calendar ads are done! The last ad (back cover) was sold- it is a discounted rate, but still it is done and since I had no other viable options for that spot, I am relieved. It was a difficult time getting these ads sold this year. Next year, I will start even earlier and will not rely on certain people coming through and helping find sponsors. I know the economic troubles played a role in the difficulty getting the ads sold, but it still could have worked better. However, there is little reason to complain- it is all set and I can relax about that issue.

I'm happy to announce that my desk is getting better- I was working on it earlier this evening. The organizing items I got are helpful and I finished up a few of the small things so I could clear them off the desk.

I was thinking when I was driving home tonight about time and how afraid I am of not accomplishing enough and running out of time and never achieving all that I want to do. It seems like just yesterday I was a 17 year old girl speeding around New York City in her running shoes, working hard at school, learning how to cook, enjoying the freedom of living on her own, thinking she knew so much, but still always worrying about things. But it's not yesterday, it's 11 years later, and while so much has changed and so many things have been accomplished- there are still ions left to do and I'm afraid of never getting there. My dream is for Project Smile to become a national charity (among other dreams). Why is it so important to me? Because I believe in what we do- I believe that small gestures can have a lasting impact on a child's life and every child should feel that someone cares for them, particularly in their darkest moments. I believe that comfort items for children should be a standard piece of equipment that all emergency responders carry. I believe that all children entering foster care should at least have a stuffed animal with them for comfort and I believe that the elderly who are suffering should be given soft items to hold.

On a personal level, outside of family, I have known no greater happiness than with Project Smile and I know that there is so much more to be achieved and I believe that I can do it. I am not the smartest, the most talented or the best connected, but I am determined and I work hard and I have visualized a future for myself in which Project Smile is national and will live on well after I am gone. Just as I hold onto that opening line at the WGBH orientation, "It all started with a dream", I want to someday inspire the spunky kids who come after me, to believe that their dreams can be achieved.

Quote of the day:
"I want to live so that my soul flies free. Stand firmly on the ground, but live in a land of stars and dreams. See all that is beautiful, however small, and waste not a moment. Appreciate the gifts that are given to me and achieve all that I can be. Stand up for what is right, even when all others sit down. Love others with a pure heart. Find the truth and hold onto it. Let go of the ugliness, because no good can come of holding onto that which does not deserve to be held onto."

No comments: