Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bumpy Start

Well, 2009 is off to a bumpy start and I'm anxious- that's why I'm blogging on a Saturday night. The Valentines event is having issues. The event planner has an idea for another event in March and wants to replace the Valentines event with the March event. The March event has the potential to be really good, but the details of it are still up in the air. I am really concerned about the idea of canceling the Valentines event- for a number of reasons. The first reason is that we already have a terrific venue that is on board and we signed a contract with them. To walk away makes us look unprofessional. I work very hard to always be viewed as professional and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. Obviously, I don't want to have an unsucessful event, but I think that Valentines is a wonderful event opportunity and it can be a success. However, the event needs some changes- I think it needs to become a lot sexier and cater to a young singles crowd. Valentines is about sex and romance and love and we need to capture the sexy side. I'm not talking about having a strip show, but we can have a classy and hot event that will appeal to single men and women in their twenties/early thirties. When I was driving last night and today, I had some ideas on how to make our event hotter.


I don't like being in this position- of having an event scheduled 6 weeks from now and not having anything finalized except for the venue. I was concerned about the time issue in November, but the event planner assured me that we had enough time and it would be great and she still does say that if I want to go ahead with it, the event will be great. My instinct is that one can not book a venue, get them to donate the space and food and sign a contract, then cancel two weeks later- without looking like a complete fool and greatly reducing the chance of them hosting another event with us. So basically, we have to move forward on it and put together something kick ass and sexy. I would like to do the March event as well, but I am concerned because it relies on the participation of a famous music group. Financially, we need both events. I have very limited fundraising sources for the next few months and we need the money those events could bring in.

Anyways, that's the update on where things are right now. I still have a lot of '09 planning to do. I'm just worried about things right now- anxious about what is going to happen this year- both personally and with Project Smile. I am excited for all the good things that can happen, all the plans that I have, but I'm also really worried and feeling under a lot of pressure. I always feel quite a bit of pressure- that's hardly a new feeling- just sometimes it feels greatly magnified and tonight is one of those times. Whenever I feel like this, I go back to my baby steps formula- take the big things, break them down into lots of little things and just move through methodically one item at a time- it's what I've been doing for 5 years. It's easy to feel overwhelmed with this job, but nothing good ever comes of feeling overwhelmed. I just wish things didn't have to be so difficult- so stressful and so full of worry. I wouldn't trade this job and I know plenty of people have a lot more stress than I do, and I also know that I'm in a lot better position than people that have lost their job or worried about losing their job, but heck- a little easier, a little less worry, a lot more money- how wonderful would that be?

Well friends, that's it for tonight. I'm going to go finish watching the Colts game which looks like it is going to OT and read the book that I just got from the libary- Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene, I could also go and do some research for work, but it is Saturday night and chickie really shouldn't be working. I probably should be out on a Saturday night, but it was a nice quiet night at home watching a movie with sis. Until next time...

No comments: