Monday, January 26, 2009

Rocky Day

Greetings! I'm home from tango lessons and just finished eating the most delicious grapefruit, so I'm feeling quite happy and relaxed- the best I've felt all day actually. Today was a rocky day. This morning, I had a meeting with the event planner, our DJ, the Hard Rock events manager and the salsa school. We were doing a walk through for our upcoming Sugar and Spice. The meeting went well. It was great to meet the Hard Rock manager and the DJ- he is really cool and so enthusiastic. I think he is going to do an awesome job.

It was such a different feeling today when we were doing the walk through. I've never worked with an event planner before, so in situations like this I am usually the one leading the layout discussion and going over the details with the venue host and participants. My natural instinct is to take charge, so I had to keep quietly reminding myself to back off and let the event planner lead. I didn't want to step on her toes- it would be unprofessional on my part and pretty rude as well. She was doing a good job anyways. If I thought that something was wrong, then I would have said something. I like working with an event planner- it is great to have someone share the workload and take responsibility for certain things and also to brainstorm and come up with new ideas and sharing their expertise. There are difficulties too of course, but I think that with clear expectations, good communication and a strict timetable things can run smoothly.

I went into a bit of mini panic mode when I was driving home this afternoon- worried about the event and making sure it is a success. It is an awesome event, so that's not the problem. It's the type of event that if I saw it, I would want to go. I'm worried about making sure we have a lot of people there. I know I go through this with every event that I've done, but it is a bit of a different situation with this one. The marketing is key and I think we're taking the right steps. I know it seems like worry is my middle name- honestly, it's not, I actually have a really pretty middle name. But I feel like I spend so much time worrying about things.

I didn't have time to exercise this morning or do New Food Monday today, so I feel really off my schedule. I went to bed freakishly early last night- 11:45, but still couldn't get up any earlier. I was thinking I might be fighting off sickness- it's usually a sign. This has actually been a really tough month- I feel like I've put too much energy into the wrong things and wasted an inordinate amount of time. I'm glad for February to come- not only because it is my birthday on Feb 1, but I want to start the new month on a new foot and get back to the things that I should be focused on. I also felt like I've been bleeding money lately and that also contributed to the mini panic mode this afternoon- the $22 to park in Boston for less than two hours didn't help either.

Anyways, that's it for tonight. I need to check my calendar and see what's on the schedule for tomorrow. I have an appointment in Worcester this week and I can't remember if it is for tomorrow. It is going to snow on Wednesday, so I hope it isn't scheduled for then. I also have to write my list- a very long one. I also need to follow up on the grant that was awarded to us last December. We haven't received the check yet, so I want to make sure it hasn't been lost in the mail. Well, until tomorrow friends...

No comments: