Monday, May 23, 2011

More Grant Work

I can't believe it has been a week since I blogged! My last blog was about blogging and guess what I spent the majority of today doing- working on the same grant! My goal was to get it done and mailed last week, obviously that didn't happen. I didn't intend to spend most of the day doing this grant, but it took so much time. It isn't even that complicated. We're basically applying for the same program that they funded in 2006. I don't know if my grant skills are just a little rusty and that is why everything was moving slowly. Grants do take time though, even the simple ones. The good news is that the grant is finished. I printed the cover letter, but I haven't printed the grant out yet. I'm still in the staring at it mode. I stare at the grant for much longer than is probably needed- rereading it, making sure that I've answered the questions in the best way possible- keeping things succinct but still giving all the details needed, including the statistics, etc. I know I could print the grant out tonight, I have looked at it enough. But I think I will wait until morning and give it one last look. Then off to the mail! We will then have 3 grant applications which we will be waiting to hear from. There are two other grants that I need to start work on immediately too.

So what else is happening? I've been reaching out to new sponsors for the Anniversary Celebration. Last year, I didn't contact a lot of new sponsors, I basically worked from the same list as the year before. This year, I'm changing that and reaching out a lot of new local companies. The date auction sponsorship hunt is still in full force. I have been contacting a lot of new companies who I think would be a perfect fit. I don't have any new sponsors on board yet, but it does take time. Hopefully, I will have some more good news soon.

I need to get back to work on calendar sponsors. The good news is that one of the sponsors that I wasn't sure about- I wasn't thinking they would be back- are back on board! We also have a new sponsor which will take the place of one of the ones that definitely isn't coming back (they never paid us for last year's ad). Calendar photos start on Friday with our first pictures at Douglas Fire Dept. They are usually one of the first departments that we do. I need to start making calls tomorrow to set up photo shoots. I want to reach out to the local MOMS clubs too- it worked well last year having the kids from those groups featured.

Well friends, that's it for tonight. I did want to add that my heart goes out to the people in Missouri who were victims of the horrible tornadoes yesterday. I can't even imagine what that must be like. Hopefully, once things have calmed down, we can help in a small way and send some stuffed animals for the children there. It is so sad.
Until tomorrow....

No comments: