Monday, March 11, 2013

Back on Track

Well, it has been a while since my last blog. Last week was very rough- we had a house related issue going on which was a huge distraction and made it difficult to get much work done. The good thing is that we are back on track now and getting on with things. One takes so much for granted during the working day, so when things get derailed, everything comes to a halt. It is always such a fine balance just to keep everything moving forward. I did my best last week to get some work done, but there was very little actually accomplished.

Anyways, so what else is happening? Well, next week, we will be donating to our 183rd department- Nantucket Police. The best thing about that donation is that I will be bringing the items there myself and it will be my very first trip to Nantucket! The department reached out to us about receiving donations for their police department as well as the fire department and nursing home on the island. I wanted to do the donation myself, but when I looked up the fare to take my car over, it was $200 round trip. It would be too expensive to go- we can't afford to spend that much money doing a donation. I was prepared to mail them, but when I spoke with the sergeant and told him how I would love to do the donation personally so I could meet them and get a nice photo, but we couldn't afford it- he said he would look into getting the cost taken care of. The Sheriff's department purchased the ferry ticket for me, which was great. I will load up my car with as many boxes that I can fit. The donation will be held at the nursing home. I arrive late morning and the returning ferry isn't until 5pm, so I will also have plenty of time to do some sightseeing. I hope that we have good weather! I've always wanted to visit Nantucket. I'm really looking forward to this donation- it will be different than our other ones. The first time that I'll be taking a ferry to do a donation!

In other news- we are getting new Project Smile boxes. The prices went up at the printer that we used last time and one of our sponsors, who also stores the boxes for us, recommended a Milford packaging company. I met with them last week- they don't have the same size as we've been using, so I'm going with 2 different size boxes. One of the boxes is a little larger and one of the boxes is smaller. The smaller ones will be used for books/coloring books primarily. The larger boxes will obviously hold more stuffed animals than the ones we currently use, but we will be able to fit less in my car. It will be interesting to see which sizes will be the best fit for us- I think it will work out well to have both sizes available. The smallest box is 1/3 cheaper than the ones we currently use. I'm ordering about 200 of each size. We go through boxes pretty quickly, but I didn't want to order a lot since we're using new sizes. I received the printing stamp from the previous printer today which I had already paid for when I placed the old order and I dropped it off at the new printer.  Hopefully, we will be able to get the new boxes next week.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I have so much work to get done this week to make up for last week- I'm rather overwhelmed and I'm tired. I'm loving the longer sunlight, but it does take a few days to adjust to the time change as well. I'm really relieved that things are back on track. Until tomorrow friends..

No comments: