Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Busy, Busy!

Busy, busy! So much to do and I'm still trying to catch up at 11:30- I got a bit of a late start today, so that definitely has something to do with it. My goal was to blog everyday (Sun-Thursday), but I haven't been doing too well on that lately.

So what's new? We had our board meeting on Monday night, which went well, not everyone could make it, which was disappointing, but it was still productive. We reviewed the finances from last year, outlined this year's fundraising goals an general updates on where the program stands. We also discussed our two big events this year- the date auction and our Anniversary Celebration on October 3, which is huge- it is our 5th anniversary- so that is really exciting.

With our new Elder Care program that is taking up a lot of time, so I've been feeling a lot of pressure to fit everything else in as well. One of my goals is to reach out to new corporations and meet with them to introduce Project Smile. I feel like I don't have enough time to make as many phone calls as I need to. I also spend time each day reaching three businesses to donate items for our silent auction, that way it doesn't become overwhelming as the event gets closer and I think it always helps to ask as far in advance as possible.

I have found it frustrating when contacting certain businesses that I have been a really good customer of and not even getting a phone call back. There is one business, a hardware store (won't mention the name right now) that I have shopped at since I was a teenager, my dad shopped there, my grandfather shopped there and I called them up to find out about donating a gift card or item for our auction and I was referred to their operations manager. I have left 4 messages for him and haven't had a single call back. Now, I'm not saying that they have to donate, I understand businesses get contacted by charities all the time. However, not returning a phone call is simply rude. I'm going to contact their corporate office because as a customer of their store, I find it disturbing that they take so little interest in the work of a local charity. I'll keep you updated.

Back to work- I have to finish off a letter to a Worcester business that helped sponsor our Halloween and Child Safety Event last year. Hopefully, they will continue to support our event!
Until next time..

No comments: