Monday, March 30, 2009

Being Better

I was thinking tonight when I was driving home from tango about being better. I've been taking Argentine Tango classes every Monday night since January- the new series just started tonight. Now, I know I can be a better dancer. In my mind I visualize how I can dance better, but that isn't necessarily translating into moving better on the dance floor. However, when I think of how I was in January- there is serious improvement. I want to be a better dancer and I want to be better with my work. I consider myself good at what I do- I wouldn't have been able to keep Project Smile going full time for 5 years if I wasn't good at it. As the months and years go by, I have gotten better- I have learned more, listened more, had more experiences, made more connections, etc. But I know that I can be so much better- much of what I do now for work I could probably do better.

I think that if you asked people who are considered the top of their professions- businessmen, artists, dancers, actors, athletes, etc.- if they considered themeselves the best they could be, they would probably say no. There is a danger in ever thinking that you are the best you can be. We can always keep learning, keep practicing, keep improving.

It can also get overwhelming when you think about how much better you need to be- how many things there are to improve upon. So I go back to my baby steps- I don't need to go out tomorrow and be the world's best fundraiser. Do I wish that could happen? Of course- but it is an unrealistic expectation. However, it is realistic to decide that tomorrow, I will be a better fundraiser than I was today. Maybe all that means is that I will contact one extra person than usual- how small a step it is doesn't matter. The important aspect is improvement. Eventually, when you string along all these days of small improvements they are going to add up to some drastic changes. Is everyday going to be an improvement from yesterday? Of course not. Mistakes happen, things get in the way and I have days where I get little done, but the goal will always be the same- to be better today than I was yesterday and be better tomorrow than I am today. That is my favorite saying- I rarely discuss it, but I think about it all the time.

Well, I need to get going. I was going to go back and work- I have a lot of things that I wanted to get done tonight, but instead I'm going to go to bed super early so I can have time tomorrow to exercise before I have to get everything ready for our department donation tomorrow. It is only 11:50- I can't believe I'm going to go to bed this early! Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: