Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday News

So what's new? Well, today was not as productive as yesterday. I lost track of things today and didn't get to everything that I wanted. I went to pick up a gift certificate at a really nice restaurant in Natick which was great- but it was over an hour out of the office and that got me behind on stuff. It was a restaurant that donated last year- I spoke with one of the owners last week and they agreed to donate again. As I was driving there today, I had a feeling that they would donate a smaller amount than last year and I was trying to come up with a plan of what- if anything- I should say. Of course, I'm grateful for every donation that we get, regardless of the amount, but it is the most beneficial when people can at least match what they donated last year, if not exceed.

Anyways, I arrived and the owner came out with a gift card that was half the value of last year's donation. I thanked him, shook his hand and my mind was whirling- trying to decide if I should ask about increasing the donation. It is an awkward situation because I don't want to appear ungrateful and I know that times are tough for many businesses, but that said- we need the help. I only had a second to decide whether or not to ask, because as soon as I walk out the door- that oppportunity is gone forever. I decided to ask. I thanked him and said that last year they were able to donate a $x gift card which was really helpful, would it be possible to match last year's donation? He was very nice and gave me a new gift card which matches last year's donation. I was so glad that I asked. In the grand scale of things, it is a small moment- we aren't talking about hundreds or thousands of dollars here. But for me, the moment is huge. A year ago, I never would have asked- probably 6 months ago I wouldn't have asked either. But now, I will ask. I don't know what caused the change- I do know that I gain more confidence as I get more experience and with that confidence comes the ability to ask for what you need.

Anyways, I think that's it for tonight. I'm forgetting other things that I wanted to write about and I'm still trying to get to bed earlier. It didn't work last night and I felt it this morning. So until next time friends..

No comments: