Monday, May 17, 2010

Downside of the Roller Coaster

Well, today was not the best of days. It started of badly and only made a bit of a recovery. I opened my emails this morning to find out that Project Smile was not chosen as the charity for a particular womens organization to support for the next 3 years. I had spoken at the state meeting for this organization a few months ago and then last month at a local chapter. They had supported a large non profit for the past 3 years and instead of choosing to go with us, they are continuing with the other charity. That was very disappointing. Then less than an hour later, I get a phone call from one of our board members who said she is no longer going to be on the board and won't be able to sponsor a month in our calendar. There's nothing I can do about either one of those things- and each one separately is not that big a deal, but together is was upsetting. It sucks to lose a board member, but you can't force someone to do something they don't want to do and there is nothing worse than people making false promises. It just amazes me sometimes how easily people walk away from things.

I still haven't found a guest speaker for our Anniversary Celebration. I'm running out of people to ask. It took me until July last year to get a speaker, so it's not like I'm behind. I have approached some interesting people that I'm still waiting to hear from, so please keep your fingers crossed for me! Hopefully, we will be getting some good news really soon.

So what else is going on? I know I sound like a Debbie Downer- things are not all bad, it's just today was rough. I was making other calls, but not really getting anywhere. I did sign up with an organization that helps identify grants, it was highly recommended to me and from what I've seen, I think it will be really helpful. In other good news, we are on track with our sponsorship goal for the Anniversary event and we're getting cool auction items donated at a decent rate. On the downside, I'm way short on gift certificates for the date auction and I still haven't reached our sponsor goal. I also need some more ladies to be auctioned, 8 more ladies to be exact and we still need quite a lot of men, but it always takes a while to get the guys signed up.

I know I need to relax about things- everything that I'm stressed about now is the same stuff that I deal with every year, it isn't anything new. Things have always worked out in the past, so I shouldn't get so anxious. However, just because things have worked out before, it doesn't necessarily mean it is going to work out this time. When I get stressed, I need to go back to baby steps- break down the big tasks into small manageable pieces and gradually the bigger things fall into place. That has always been how I get things done.

Anyways friends, I'm off to eat some more watermelon (my favorite fruit), then write my list, I've been slipping with my list writing lately, then bed. Tomorrow will be a much better day. We also have the singles event organized by BEG at Splash- we are getting the $10 ticket proceeds. They already have 100 people signed up, so that will be great. Events like this are perfect- all we have to do is help promote and show up- we need to get more events like that.
Until tomorrow friends..

No comments: