Monday, May 10, 2010

Updates

I can't believe it is almost a week since I've blogged- I'm not doing well at all lately with my blogging. There have been some personal changes lately and that has affected the time that I usually spent blogging, but I do need to do better. So what's happening? Well, things have been up and down. On the up side, we have a cool event coming up next Tuesday in Boston, it is a singles themed event called a People Scavenger Hunt and we're receiving the $10 ticket price at the event. All we have to do is help promote it and show up, so that is pretty simple. It looks like it will be a really fun event. Boston Event Guide- the company that we partner with to help promote the date auction- is organizing the event and they chose PS to be the charity. Jeff, who owns the company, has been really supportive of our work- he makes an effort to include us on lots of different things that he does. He is hosting the Spring Wine Fest in a few weeks that we are holding a silent auction at.

On a downside, one of the magazines that donates an ad for our date auction will not be able to donate this year. The marketing director was very nice, he said that their budget has been slashed and there wasn't anything he could do. I had been reading lately about the difficulties that the company has been having, so it isn't a major surprise, but it is really disappointing. I need to find another way to make up for that loss of marketing. I don't think we can afford to buy an ad in their magazine.

I've been working on calendar sponsors, but that is going slowly. I do have some commitments, but there is a long way to go. I'm having trouble reaching some people that usually sponsor. It gets frustrating when you spend a lot of time trying to reach people.

Tomorrow, we're donating to Hartford PD, it is our second donation there. Then I'm speaking to an association in the evening. I'm looking forward to speaking, it is always great when I can get the word out about Project Smile.

Last week, Oprah had the brothers from New Jersey that inspired me to start PS on her show. I was so happy to see that they are doing really well, they were adopted by a family and look like they are really flourishing. I did email the Oprah show- I was hoping that there was a way to let the boys know that their tragedy had inspired me to start Project Smile. I didn't get a response, so I don't know if they will ever know, but it would be great to be able to tell them.

Well, I should go back to work. There were a lot of things that I didn't get to today and considering that I'm going to be leaving at 12:30, there is a lot that I won't get to tomorrow either. I had intended to go back to work, but I've been hanging out watching the Yankees (lose again!), Real Housewives of NJ, Jay Leno and the Lakers game and chatting on the phone- not exactly the hours of productivity I had planned for myself. I'm getting tired now though, so I might just eat my grapefruit and head to bed. I promise to blog tomorrow- no more slacking! Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: