Monday, July 25, 2011

The Unexpected

I know this has nothing to do with work, but I wanted to share. I went to Horseneck Beach on Saturday with a girl friend. We were hanging out in the water, very close to shore. I saw a life guard jump down from his post, but I didn't pay much attention. A few minutes later, I noticed a small group of beach goers gathered around a man lying on the sand with life guards kneeling in the sand next to him. They were only about 30 feet away. The life guard started doing CPR on the man, police arrived and more life guards and the crowd grew bigger. After what seemed like a long while, even though it probably wasn't, the ambulance arrived. The man was lifted into the dune buggy, the life guard still doing CPR on him. I had never seen anyone do CPR for real in person. It turns out the man drowned. He was 61 years old, from San Francisco. It said the State Police had to work to identify him, so it sounds like he had been at the beach by himself. It was so incredibly sad and shocking to see the lifeguards working on him and then to find out that he died. I was hoping they were able to bring him back. It is such a reminder about how short life can be. Things can just end in an instant. I'm sure that man had no idea that he was going to die when he went to the beach. It's so easy to get caught up with all the stress of work or personal matters or get bogged down with things that one forgets to enjoy all the little moments and to make the most of each day- because you just never know when it is all over. I don't mean to sound preachy, it was just so shocking to see and I feel so sorry for the poor man who died by himself in such a sad way.

Well, moving on to more cheerful things. Today was not the most productive day. I woke up this morning feeling like I had a stomach bug- so bad that I couldn't even work. I decided to go back to bed, I slept for a while and woke up feeling much better. I was able to get some work done, not nearly as much as I intended, but at least I got some things done. I don't know what caused me to feel so sick, I'm glad it didn't last. We're doing well with recruiting bachelors for the date auction which is great. A friend of mine just recruited 5 more people over the weekend. We're at the half-way point for ladies who have signed up. It usually is the other way around- we always fill the ladies spots before the guys.

There is more to write about, but I'm getting tired. It isn't even midnight yet, but I think I will get an early night. I'm doing photos in Burlington tomorrow and have about a million things to work on as well- including grants. I'm getting far behind on grant work again which isn't good. On that note, I'm off to write my list. Until tomorrow...

No comments: