Monday, April 2, 2012

Ups and Downs

Well, today was an up and down day. On the good side, we donated to our 170th department today- Northborough Police. It is always great when add on a new department that we work with. We don't add as many new ones as we used to every year because it is hard to keep up with the departments that we already work with. After that donation this morning, I did another one to SMOC (South Middlesex Opportunity Council)- they are an organization in charge of our area and Metro West area homeless shelters and as well as many other programs to help low income families. We've been donating stuffed animals, books and coloring books/crayons to SMOC for a few years now. Here is a photo from today's donation. I always enjoy doing our donation there- the staff that I meet are so pleasant and nice to work with.
In other good news- we're doing really well with ticket sales for the Smiling Stiletto Step into Spring fashion show fundraiser on April 19 at Copley Place. We only have 27 tickets left until we sell out! It is going to be a fabulous event. Now that it is getting so close, I'm getting more and more excited for it.

So what was the downside today? Well, the volunteer who I spoke with last week and had a great conversation about helping with the date auction emailed me this afternoon to let me know that she won't be able to work on getting sponsors. She thought it would be best left to a salesperson and she wasn't very familiar with businesses in Boston. That was quite disappointing, especially since she seemed really enthusiastic and had experience. It is so hard to get volunteers to work on things outside of help at events. Helping at events is great, but I need help with other things too.  I need to focus on getting interns instead.

Another business in Boston that I've been trying to get a gift certificate donated from for years emailed to let us know that they're not able to donate. They also included an invitation to host an event at their location. I prefer to work with venues that have already been supportive of Project Smile. I understand that businesses can't donate to every cause, but why would I haven an event at a place that has steadily declined to donate even a gift certificate to our cause? I'd much rather support the places that have supported us.

I reached out to a long time supporter who has helped us with anniversary event sponsorship and other things for quite a few years. I was calling to talk to him about the anniversary event and reaching out to a local sponsor who has been involved for the past few years. I'm glad that I called him when I did because he was so sad- his beloved dog died last week after an illness. His dog was only 4 years old- I remember when he got the dog and how happy he was. I met the dog once, she was very sweet. It was so sad to hear him talk about the loss. He wants to start a non profit to work with people and their sick pets. He was asking my advice about starting a non profit- I was happy to share my info. He is a really nice person, it's sad that he is going through such a loss.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. My priorities for tomorrow are our newsletter, date auction and anniversary event sponsors, reaching out to more police/fire departments, anniversary event speaker and auction items. That's a lot of priorities for one day isn't it? I'm off to watch TV for a bit, then I want to finish this chick lit book that I've been enjoying. I also need to do some more research for potential sponsors and gift cert. donors. Until tomorrow friends...


No comments: