Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Latest and Greatest

So what's the latest? Well, it's snowing and I missed my monthly women's networking dinner. I got half way there, but the roads were a bit slippery and I was really concerned about the roads driving home, so I decided to turn around and come home. I don't like missing the event, but I didn't want to risk an accident.

In more interesting news- the Glamour magazine containing Project Smile hit newsstands last week. I thought it was hitting stands this week, so I totally wasn't expecting to see it. I was heading into Boston on Friday night and stopped at a rest area on the Pike to use the bathroom. I was zooming through the convenience store on my way back to my car when I suddenly spotted it- sitting front and center on the magazine rack: the December issue of Glamour! Of course, I stopped to pick it up- I was so excited as I kept flipping through- it was hard to find at first because it's a really thick issue. I found the page and I literally squealed! It's a moment that I'll remember for the rest of my life- standing under the bright lights in the convenience store and seeing Project Smile's name in a national magazine for the first time- it was an emotional moment. I rushed back out to my card to grab my purse and came back in to buy the magazine immediately. It has been sitting proudly on my desk. I want to get it framed.

Yesterday, I received an email from a lady who was helping coordinate relief efforts in East Rockaway, NY for families who lost their homes and possessions in Superstorm Sandy. She asked if we could send stuffed animals for the children. I wrote back immediately that we would be happy to help and I shipped almost 150 stuffed animals yesterday to the E. Rockaway fire house which is their donation drop-off center. I'm so glad that we were able to help. It is so horrible what the families there have gone through. I'll check with them next week to see if they need more stuffed animals.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I'm off to do a bit of cleaning, read some more and eat a grapefruit- yes, the grapefruits have returned! Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: