Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Happenings

Greetings friends! I hope everyone is enjoying this lovely summer weather! So what's new? Well, in good news- 5 of the Rev Girls, who are the cheerleaders for the New England Revolution soccer team, will be attending the Date Auction! They will be mingling with guests, posing for photos and one of the Rev Girls will be a bachelorette in our auction! How cool is that? That will definitely help bring extra guys to the Date Auction.

It never ceases to amaze me how poor the quality is of some of the items that people donate. 70% of what people donate has to be discarded. Our guidelines are very clear on our website, but still people don't follow them. I opened up a box of coloring books tonight that had been mailed from across the country- it was filled with coloring books that had been drawn in, pages ripped out or were old and yellowed. They were definitely not in the condition that was suitable to be given to children. Recently, I had half-empty boxes of crayons donated to us. I don't understand why people spend money and put time and effort into mailing items that are clearly not following our guidelines. It gets frustrating because I have to spend time sorting out all the donations and discarding items- it isn't easy to have to discard of large quantities of stuffed animals weekly. I don't want to appear ungrateful- because I really appreciate that people want to help and there are plenty of people that donate lovely items, but I don't understand why people make the effort to either drive here or mail items that are clearly old or in poor condition. If they really want to help our efforts, it would be better if they could save the $5 or $10 in postage and donate online to us so that we can get the items we actually need.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I'm off to work on our fashion show fundraiser posting for our website and then read for a bit. I'm still reading Cuckoo's Calling and loving it. My sister gave it to me- she always makes excellent book recommendations. I've already had watermelon, then cherries, followed by leftovers, so probably should cease eating for the night. Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: