Thursday, November 12, 2009

Expanding

Well, I don't have much to report tonight, but I didn't blog last night and didn't want to miss tonight as well. I was tired last night and had to finish up a few things when I got home, so that was why I didn't blog, but then I got an energy boost around midnite and didn't go to bed until 2:30. I had a meeting this morning, but took the afternoon off, but I'm still feeling tired. I do have other things to write about besides my tiredness!

I decided recently that we're going to be expanding Project Smile to work with homeless shelters and provide stuffed animals, books and coloring books for children living in homeless shelters and battered women's shelters. My mom had actually suggested it a couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about it more and more and it makes perfect sense. I did some research online and there are over 3,000 children living in Massachusetts homeless shelters- isn't that so sad? If we can do one small thing to make their lives a little happier, then that would mean a lot. I get a little worried expanding Project Smile because we still have so many more police/fire departments to reach, but children forced to live in shelters are experiencing traumatic events and that is what our ultimate mission is. I've applied for funding with a grant that I submitted yesterday and I'm going to include it in other grants that I will be working on. We won't start this until January because there are a lot of other things that I want to work on before I start that. I also like the idea of launching our expansion with the new year.

In other good news- we were approved for the Capital One Project Smile card where 1% of each card holder's purchases will be donated to Project Smile. I am really excited for this. Now, I need to get it linked on our site and promote the heck out of it. The card is meaningless unless people sign up and use it. Of course I will sign up for it, but I need to get a lot of people to sign up. My goal is to get 5 people within the next month and ask them to ask 5 other people to get the card. We need more than 5 people obviously, but since I don't have any experience in trying to get people to sign up for new credit cards, I want to start with a small goal.

Well, I think that's it for tonight- my eyes are starting to fall asleep, it is almost 1am and I'm heading to bed. I have a long list to write for tomorrow. I am glad that I blogged tonight- it doesn't feel right to go to bed on a weeknight without blogging.

A special Happy Veteran's Day to everyone serving in the military and those who have served.

No comments: