Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Half Speed

Well, I should have titled this blog quarter speed because that would have been a bit more accurate. I've been sick these last few days and haven't accomplished too much. I feel a little guilty because it's only a cold and not even that bad a cold, but I'm really struggling to get work done. I spent most of today just resting and drinking tea and tonight, I'm actually feeling better. The good thing is that I don't have to worry about sick days like other people do in their jobs. If I don't feel well, I can take a break and rest without worrying about losing a day's pay or using a sick day allocation. The downside is that I have no one to delegate my work to, so if I don't do it, then it doesn't get done. When I graduated college, I had a waitress job at a local restaurant. You didn't get sick days at that job and if you couldn't work, you had to find someone to cover your shift or bring in a doctor's note. One time, I had a horrible cold- the kind where your coughing all the time, nose running- absolutely gross. I couldn't find anyone to cover my shift and I didn't need to go to the doctor- besides the fact that a cold doesn't usually require a doctor's visit, I had a high deductible on my insurance which you had to meet before doctor's visits were covered. I called the restaurant, but they said I had to come in or get written up, so I went to work- feeling horrible and looking just as bad. If you're dining at a restaurant, probably one of the last things you want is to be served your food by a waitress with a nasty cold. If you're a manager, I don't know why you would want a sick waitress serving food either. Those days are long gone, but I do think about that whenever I'm in bed sick. I'm lucky to be able to take the time off without worrying about losing money or getting punished by a boss.

So what else is going on? Well, today Jet Blue donated two round trip tickets for the silent auction at our Date Auction. This is the first item for the silent auction. The airline tickets always do awesome, so that's really great to have. I've started work on reaching out to sponsors for the Anniversary Celebration. One of my goals this week was to work on sponsors for the Date Auction, but so far I haven't done that yet.

I mailed a donation of stuffed animals and coloring books/crayons and reading books to Fitchburg Police yesterday. We've donated to them a few times before. I was going to drive them up there and get a photo, but I wasn't feeling well. Gas prices are going up again, so I'm trying to batch donations together to save the gas, but I didn't have any other donations scheduled right now in that area. It is so expensive to mail the items- I think it was almost $40 to mail the 4 boxes.

Well friends, that's it for tonight. I'm off to read for a bit. It is only 9:30, I think this is the earliest I've ever blogged! Until tomorrow..

No comments: