Monday, January 28, 2013

Building Blocks

Well, I can't believe we are almost at the end of January- which also means that we are almost at my birthday! (Feb. 1) I get very excited for birthdays- just like a little kid. So what's new? Well, we scheduled our next donation to DCF, it will be next week. I also heard back from a local organization which has made an annual $250 donation for about the past 5 years. I had written to them in November, at my usual time, but hadn't received a response. I was disappointed and wondered what had happened. It is a relatively small amount of money, but every donation is important and it is always disappointing when someone doesn't continue their donation. This afternoon, I received an email from the current President of the organization who apologized for not getting in touch- they have a $250 donation for Project Smile and wanted me to come back and speak at their dinner. I was so happy to hear that. Ongoing donations like that are so important- they are the building blocks of our financial security. I'll be speaking at their dinner next month.

It really is funny how I can repeat the same things at the same time every year without even thinking about it. I was getting nervous that I was behind on contacting sponsors for the Date Auction, so this morning, I emailed one of our sponsors who has been supporting the Date Auction for many years. I searched through my old emails to see when I had emailed the company last year- turns out I emailed them on Jan. 30.  The marketing director wrote back immediately to let me know that they were still working on their budget for this year. That's why it is good to email companies early, so it can be on their radar as they get their budgets together.

In other news, I think we might be done with getting food/beverage vendors for the fashion show. We have 5 food vendors which are going to provide an awesome sampling of items. It would be great to have one more dessert vendor- Christine, one of our shoe club members who has helped organize our past shows, is working on that. I'm waiting to hear back from other vendors that we've reached out to, so if we get them on board, that would be great. Otherwise, I think I'm done with reaching out to new food vendors. My time is limited, so I need to focus on where my efforts are most beneficial. Obviously, I'd love to have a ton of food vendors at the show, but we have a sufficient number and now I need to focus on additional fundraising things- including getting the show posted on our website. I also need to focus on our big fall events some more.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I'm off to eat some leftover lemon meringue pie from my birthday party... lemon meringue pie is one of the most delicious things ever! Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: