Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Helpful People

Helpful and supportive people are the best! Yes, another incredibly simple statement- but I spoke with a really pleasant and helpful man this afternoon and it just made my day. This afternoon, I had been working really hard on finding more auction items- my primary focus was the date auction, but I was also working on some gift certificates for our Anniversary Celebration. I found a lot of new places- mostly restaurants to contact. So late in the day, I was calling tons of places and sending faxes right and left- I didn't actually get through to anyone and it was getting a little tiring. So I was wrapping up my calls for the day and decided to contact a kayaking business on the north shore for a gift certificate. I called the business and explained about Project Smile and our Anniversary Celebration- even though we need items for both auctions, I only ask a business for one donation. (I don't want to be greedy, even though we need both and also I know they get contacted from other chairities and want to make sure there is enough left over so they can help other places too).

Anyways, so I spoke with this fellow and he was very helpful and said he would be happy to send us a gift certificate. I happened to mention that we also had our other event going on and he immediately said he would send a gif certificate for that one too. I was so happy! The funny thing was that I didn't tell him about our date auction because I wanted him to send an item, I told him because he appeared to be genuinely interested in what we were doing.

So that short interaction this afternoon really made the rest of my day. I know that he probably has no idea the effect that he had. There are a lot of people that help support our work, so I don't want to give the impression that he was the only one, but just the way it happened and how he offered items for our second event, without even being asked, really meant a lot to me.

So what's on for tomorrow? More of the usual and date auction sponsors- that is really getting urgent. I also need to work on my time management better. I do have a schedule, but it can be hard to stick to it because when I'm working on something, it is hard to switch gears and start working on other things. I do need to follow that schedule, because before I know it, the end of the day comes and I still have a long list of things that I didn't get to.
So until next time friends....

No comments: