Thursday, March 13, 2008

Latest

So what's the latest and greatest? I'm still working on trying to blog everyday- some nights I just get pretty tired- it's definitely not that there is nothing going on! I did two nursing home donations today- Wrentham and Blackstone. I'm really working on trying not to let it bother me, but honestly can't help but feel sad. There was a lady sitting in a wheelchair in the hall of one of the nursing homes today and I looked at her as I walked by to leave and she had these big blue eyes that looked so lost and I just wanted to stop and hug her- wanted to make her feel better and have that sad look go away. But I didn't though- maybe I should have, I don't know. I just smiled at her.

In more cheerful news- we received VIP tickets to a taping of the Colbert Report for our silent auction. I am really excited about that- another item that I'd like to use! This was the first time I contacted the show. It is funny because I called and the woman gave me an email address to write to, it was one of the those non specific email addresses and usually I've found that emails to those types of addresses don't tend to get much of a response, so I wasn't really expecting much. So I was extra happy when I opened my email this morning.

I keep trying to think of new places to contact for auction items- today I was contacting some boating companies that operate whale watches, harbor cruises and fishing trips. We need items for both the date auction and the Anniversary Celebration. Tomorrow I want to reach out to a few "mountain resorts" that are in the Berkshires and see if they could donate a gift certificate. The goal is to have a wide range of items so that there is something for everyone. I also called a restaurant in Framingham for a gift certificate- they were very receptive, so I'm going tomorrow to pick it up. It is a cool restaurant, so I think it will be a really good item.

I've been really concerned lately about how the economy is going to affect our fundraising. We're already keeping costs to a minimum, so I can't trim anything more there. I'm particularly concerned about how our grant funding will be. Since I can't control the economy, I think our best plan is to keep reaching new potential grant sources so we have a wider base of financial support and make our two big fundraisin events as large as possible. I'm trying not to worry about it too much, but it is definitely a huge concern.

Anyways, off now to write my lengthy list for tomorrow- I have a lot of things to catch up on. I was supposed to meet a friend for lunch tomorrow, but had to cancel because there is just too much that needs to get done. It's nothing dramatic that needs done, just a lot of the usual nitty gritty. Until next time...

No comments: