Friday, April 18, 2008

Update

Dear Catharine:
I've decided that, unfortunately, I'm not yet ready to return (even as a volunteer) to work.
Perhaps the sunny weather has something to do with it.

That's the email I received at 10:30 this morning from a potential volunteer who was supposed to be coming in at 12:00- same person who, just a couple of days ago, emailed me her resume (I didn't ask for it) and was full of enthusiasm about volunteering and eager to start working again. So how did I respond to her email? I followed the old adage- if one has nothing good to say, then say nothing at all (something I work hard to follow), so I didn't respond. However it was still annoying- for some reason I found the weather comment most annoying. And, it is very annoying when people email news like that instead of calling. Word of advice- when you have bad news to deliver- pick up the phone and call. Text messages or email just doesn't cut it. There are a few exceptions of course, but generally I think that is a pretty good rule. The good thing was that I hadn't wasted time meeting with her, but we had talked on the phone, I had read her resume and I thought she had a lot of potential- so all that in itself was a waste of time and I don't have a heck of a lot of time to waste. It is frustrating when you think that you're going to have some help, especially when she was talking about all the time that she had, and then it turned out to be nothing. I don't get much help, so I had been happy that she seemed really excited to help out.

So what else happened? I heard back from the Letterman show- it's a no go. That was disappointing, especially since I got a little excited when I saw the envelope- thinking that just maybe it was good news- even though it was a suspiciously small envelope. I prefer Leno anyways, so maybe it was my karma! And, to add to the frustrations, State Street Corporation won't be able to sponsor our date auction. So, I still don't have any financial sponsors for the date auction and few potentials. On the good side, our local Best Buy came through with a $50 gift card which is helpful. I haven't decided yet if we'll use it for the raffle or auction.

The funny thing about today was that even with the negative things happening, I still felt pretty good about things. One of the grant questions from that large grant was "list your organization's accomplishments". when I was proofing the grant, I took a step back and read it as if I was an outsider and this was my first time hearing about Project Smile, I couldn't help but be impressed with what we accomplished. I don't mean to boast, it's just that I never think about what we accomplished these past 5 years- my focus is on what needs to be done. That works on a major level, because progress isn't made by sitting in one's chair and looking backwards, but when the future is all you focus on, it is so easy to forget what one achieved. Keeping those achievements in mind also helps deal with all the rejection that comes with fundraising.

So that's the update for tonight. I have to go exercise- I have to be in Boston for
9AM tomorrow morning and won't have time to exercise in the morning (I am so not a morning person!). I wanted to finish up a few letters and thank you cards tonight, but it is too late now. I would go and work if I didn't have to be up at 7:30. So until next time friends...

No comments: