Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Week!

It's Thanksgiving week- I love Thanksgiving! I know that statement has nothing to do with work, but the holidays always make me happy. I was driving home today from food shopping and was thinking about all the things I was grateful for- my family, my great friends and of course, Project Smile. I never take any of it for granted and I'm so grateful for all the good things that I have in my life.

So what's new? Good news- we are getting a grant from the foundation that I interviewed with earlier this month. I don't know the amount yet, I'll find that out at their dinner next week. Last year, we received $2,000. Of course, I'm hoping for an increase this year, but I'll be happy if they match. I'm happy with any grant, but it would be even better with a match or increase. One of the board members from the foundation called me this morning and he took a little time to actually say whether they were giving us a grant- so I was feeling very nervous. Usually, people only call with good news, but from the way he was talking it sounded like it could go either way and for a few seconds it sounded like it wasn't going my way. But heck-isn't this supposed to be a week of happiness?? So of course it was good news!

It's not all peachy though- I'm having to refund the money for a silent auction item at our anniversary event. I sold a golf outing gift cert., but I didn't have the gift certificate- the person who got it donated was supposed to bring it to the event, but he got sick and didn't make it. I was supposed to get it from him later, but wasn't able to and I've left at least 4 messages over the last few weeks trying to arrange a time to pick it up or have him mail it, but haven't received a response. The winner has been patient, but we're now past a reasonable period of time and it isn't right to keep her waiting anymore. So now I'm having to refund $125-it's not a lot of money, so it's not the biggest deal, but I should never be in the position of refunding money no matter what the amount is. I don't understand what happened and why I never heard back from him. It is so annoying when people disappear like that- it is personally annoying and it makes me look unprofessional- that I can't get my own auction items in hand.

Anyways, I'm off to bed- I'm working hard on the earlier to bed thing. Tomorrow will be a busy day- I'm working on the bank grant, writing a PS blurb for the event planner to use on the V-Day event- I have it all written, but it needs tailored and calendar sales- yes, that is still going suckily (I know that's not a word, but it's my word for tonight) and I want to send the GoodSearch info to our web guy so we can send a reminder to our mailing list. GoodSearch is a search engine which donates a penny per search to the charity of the user's choice. We are on it, but have only raised a miniscule amount so far. GoodSearch also donates money when people shop on major retailers websites through GoodSearch- so with holiday shopping coming, I want to share that with our supporters. There is no additional charge for shopping on GoodSearch, so it's not like we're asking for extra money.

There's a bunch of other things that I need to do, but can't remember- I have to get out my list book, once I start with that it seems to jog the memory. Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: