Thursday, February 19, 2009

Frustrations

Today was a somewhat frustrating day- it wasn't any particularly thing, but a bunch of small things that added up. I found out that the local bank that we do our business banking with is merging with another bank- I already knew that, but what I didn't know was that my bank will basically cease to exist. I thought it was the other way around. I'm so disappointed- that bank was the first bank to support us financially and has been consistently supportive. They have sponsored our calendar, sponsored events, awarded grants- it has been great. The daughter of the bank president started a Weston Chapter when she was in high school. I'm really sad to see this change. I'm hoping that the new bank will be supportive as well and carry on the tradition.

I also received an email from a group that I invited to do a charity appearance at our date auction. They made an appearance at our date auction 2 years ago and did a great job. They weren't able to participate last year because they limit an organization to one charity appearance every 2 years. I thought we had a good chance this year, but I got the email saying that because of all the requests they get, they won't be able to make an appearance. I was so disappointed- they would really add to our event and help push tix sales. I emailed the coordinator back and asked her if there was any chance of reconsidering. I explained to her how our grant funding has dramatically declined and this event takes on even greater importance, particularly since we expanded to work with foster care children. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm hoping a little angel is sitting on my shoulder and we will get some good news. I know it is unlikely, but I'm still hoping. At least I didn't get an immediate "no."

There is also another work related issue that I find intensely annoying. I don't want to go into the details, it's not really worth repeating anyways. But it put me into a lousy mood late this afternoon. I'm glad that I went out and had a good time, because it helped put things in perspective. I just have to let it go and move on. No good comes from staying annoyed. Honestly though, sometimes people's behavior amazes me. I know as one gets older, they usually become less amazed at others actions, but I still get amazed on occasion. In this situation, it's not amazement in the good sense. But, it is best not to go into it, so I will swallow the remaining anger that I feel and move on to bigger and brighter things.

There wasn't much else to report today- I didn't get through to many people. I wrote our February newsletter, did organize some papers and put the files away on Sugar and Spice and our Flirt Fest auction. I updated our financials and that was about it. I did start a Project Smile page on Facebook which is different from our Project Smile group. I can ask Facebook to merge the group into the page, but I'm not sure yet if that is the best thing. I'm probably forgetting other things that happened today. I still feel really off track with my schedule- I need to get back to focusing on the usual things that I do this time of year- contact departments, grants, work on our 2 events. I feel like I've been really distracted with other things.

Anyways, that's it for tonight. I'm looking forward to the Sharks event on Saturday- I hope the jersey auction goes well. I've sent it out to everyone I can think of. I found out that the seats that I saved for myself and family are actually in the 2nd row! I just pulled them out and barely even looked at them, I had no idea that they were the 2nd row seats. I was just trying to sit near the seats that I gave to some of my friends- I'm not even sure if I'm stil near them because I can't remember which tix they have. They are all good seats, but I'm pretty excited to be in the second row. I absolutely love going to hockey games. Someday, I want to get season tix to hockey and the PawSox.

Well, I'm starting to ramble, so that's a sign I need to go to bed. Until tomorrow..

No comments: