Monday, February 2, 2009

Time

Well, this is my first day of work as a 29 year old. How was it? Earth shattering, incredible, light bulbs have gone on that I never knew existed, I plowed through work with a superhuman force. OK, I exaggerate. It didn't feel any different than my last day of 28-ness. My birthday was yesterday- I had such a great weekend. Before I go on, I just want to say how wonderful it is to have friends. I know that's a pretty obvious statement, but I am so grateful for the great friends that I have. They add so much to my life and it makes me so happy to hang out with them.

Good news today- we have a salsa band coming to perform at our Valentines event. It is really exciting because the lead musician, the sax player is a musical prodigy. He is incredibly talented, has performed at Carnegie Hall, received a lot of recognition and currently has a full scholarship to Berklee College of Music. The coolest thing is that he is only 18 years old! He responded to a posting I had on the Berklee website looking for a salsa band to perform at our event. He is bringing other musicians with him. They can also play other mainstream music too. I am really happy because that adds a lot to our event. We already have a great DJ who is going to help host as well and now that we have a live band- that is terrific. Live music is a wonderful addition to any event.

There is so much else going on, but I can't remember. I don't know why I'm so tired, but it just hit in the last few minutes. I need to start working on getting sponsors for our date auction and anniversary celebration. I got an email this morning from a woman who wants to sign up to be auctioned off, which is pretty cool. I didn't get to email her back today, it was such a busy day, but I will email her in the morning. I was working on more Sugar/Spice promo stuff- Going.Com is going to help promote it as well. I'm still worried about tix sales, but I think it will pick up soon, especially with the live music now too.

Last night, I had trouble falling asleep and I was thinking about time. I think that the amount of time required to achieve success is something that is vastly under-discussed. We live in an age of instant results and instant gratification. We can get things quicker now than ever before and I think that because of that and because talking about how long it takes to achieve success isn't exactly a sexy topic- people underestimate the amount of time required to build a successful business or achieve recognition in a field. I've never thought that I was special, that I had some incredible skill that enables me to grow Project Smile, but I do have the time and the patience that is required. I never expected overnight results and I never got them. Progress is small, but it is the small progress that adds up to major progress. I can have days go by where I don't see any progress at all, but although it can be frustrating at times, I have always accepted it as part of the job.

I have a lot more to say about time- it is a really interesting topic. But I am so tired, I'm having trouble thinking and my eyes are hurting. It's only midnite, so I don't know why I feel like this. Maybe it's because I'm 29!! Anyways friends, that's it for tonight- good night.

No comments: