Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Growing

What's new today? Well, I was working on contacting more people for calendar photos, picked up a $50 gift certificate to the Sherborn Inn which is a very nice adddition to our silent auction, followed up with other people about donating items for the date auction and worked on a lot of other things that I can't remember right now. I don't know why I am so tired.

Someone told me recently that when they meet new people, their first reaction is that they don't like them until they have a reason to like them. I don't understand how that works. When I meet someone, I like them until I have a reason not to. I genuinely love people and if it was possible, I'd like to have thousands of friends. I think that one can find something interesting to talk to with almost anyone and I find people fascinating. I've always liked to see the best in people, and sometimes that it is a fault of mine. Sometimes, I'll make excuses for people's behavior when in reality, there are no excuses- occasionally, I'll end up feeling like a bit of a fool. But that doesn't mean that I will ever stop seeing the best in people. It is a much happier, brighter world when you look at others that way. I believe in giving people second chances, I know that I'm not perfect. But I also expect to always be treated with respect and when that doesn't happen, I will move on. I have had a couple of friends act in a hurtful manner recently and today I was thinking about how important it is to let go of feelings of hurt and anger. I can't change other people's actions, all I can control are my own. I am a happy person with a lot of wonderful things in my life, so there is no reason to allow myself to be pulled down by other people's lousy behavior.

I had someone friend me on Facebook last night that I hadn't talked to since I was 14years old. It got me thinking about what I would think if I could have sprung forward at the age of 14 and seen myself as a 29 year old woman. I realized that I would be happy, that in many ways, I became the woman that I wanted to be when I was 14. Of course, things aren't perfect, but there is so much that is so good. I would have been impressed with everything that I had and not just the nice car with the fancy sound system, the haircut, the flatscreen TV (a significant upgrade from the 14in. TV with rabbit ears)- but most of all, I would be impressed with the freedom I had, the business that grew from nothing, all the friends that I have now that I didn't have then and all the fun things that I get to do. All I wish for is that 15 years I can look at myself as a 44 year old woman and know that my 29 year old self would be proud of her. Perhaps that is the most important thing, to live a life that you are proud of.

No comments: