Friday, June 11, 2010

So Much News!

I have been such a dreadful blogger lately- I am so sorry! It is 1am now, but I couldn't go to bed without blogging. I wanted to share a call that I got yesterday afternoon. I was working and was not in the best of moods. The phone rang and it was a mom from Worcester, she was calling to thank us for our work. Her 3 year old daughter was recently having trouble breathing and the mother had to call 911. The Worcester fire fighters arrived and assisted the little girl, then one of them gave the girl a stuffed animal. The mom said that it immediately changed things for her daughter- the little girl calmed down and it brought a smile to her face. The mom was so happy about the effect the stuffed animal had on her girl that she looked us up online and called. How awesome is that? I was so happy to hear her story and glad that her daughter was fine. I asked her if she could email us her story so we could include it with our grants. She said she would, but hasn't done it yet. I don't have her phone number, so I really hope that she does email us. It is very rare that I actually hear from families who receive our items, so this was really special.

In other good news, we have a speaker for our Anniversary Celebration- so there will be no more blog posts lamenting that I don't have a speaker. It was kind of funny how it happened. Last Wednesday morning, one of our volunteers was here and I was griping to her about how we still don't have a speaker (forgetting that it took me until July last year to get one), when the phone rang- I was still complaining as I picked up the phone. It was Pam Cross, reporter and anchor from Channel 5, Boston, saying that she would like to be involved and speak at our event. I was so happy. She has a cool background and I think she will do a great job. It is awesome to have that taken care of.

Calendar photos are starting next week. I've been expanding our scope a bit to include children that are not related to police/fire fighters. I think it is good to reach out to new supporters by broadening the calendar. We're still doing the children wit their police/fire fighter parents from departments that participate, but now we'll have other kids too. I did get some more commitments for calendar sponsorship, but we're still short.

Well, there is a lot more to talk about, but I think that is it for tonight. I slept for almost an hour and have an energy rush, so I'm going to get back to work for a bit. I lost a piece of paper that I need to work, so I also need to spend some time looking for that. Until next time friends...

No comments: