Thursday, March 11, 2010

Roller Coaster

I'm having laptop issues right now- it just took 18 minutes to get online. My laptop isn't particularly quick anyways, but lately it has been even slower. I don't think it has a virus, but I don't know what is wrong with it. It gets very frustrating though when you're trying to blog and it takes so long to get to my page. This laptop is 8 years old, which I know is like a dinosaur by today's standards, but I don't want to have to spend money for a new one, so I'm trying to make the best out of it.

Anyways, so what's happening? Quite a bit- the Worcester office for the Dept. of Children and Families called, they needed crayons for the Easter gift baskets that they're giving to children in foster care. I dropped off 200 packets of crayons at their office. I'm happy that we were able to help. We're not doing any Easter events ourselves, so it is good that we can help with other events for children.

Today was not going very well up until the early afternoon. I've been working really hard on getting sponsors for the date auction and I'm not getting the results that we need. It gets so frustrating when people don't even respond to emails or phone calls. I've been dealing with a lot of that lately. Our date auction is such a wonderful marketing opportunity, it would be a perfect fit for the companies that I've contacted. Anyways, I was feeling frustrating with my sponsor search, and then Michelle, our board member called- she really is such a great board member. She committed to becoming an event sponsor, so that was a help. A little later, I went to the post office, I opened my box and pulled out an envelope from Saver's Bank- we applied for a grant from them last month. I did my usual feel test- checking to see if I can tell if there is a check inside, but the envelope was thin, so that didn't help my lousy mood. I opened the envelope as I walked to my car and there was no check enclosed- I immediately assumed the worse and didn't even want to read the letter- my mood was getting worse by the second. I got in my car and glanced at the first sentence- "we are pleased to inform you...." We got the grant! It is a small grant, $1,910 in celebration of the Bank's 100th Anniversary, but that doesn't matter. I'm so happy that we got it. They had 64 applications and I believe they approved 17. Of course, I immediately felt better. This job is such a roller coaster and the highs that come with it are absolutely addictive. You work really hard, get no where for quite a while, struggle like crazy, deal with a ton of rejection and then good things happen and it is a rush, it is a wonderful feeling.

I'm starting my recruiting efforts for single guys/ladies who would like to be auctioned off, so it you know anyone who may like to participate, please let me know. I know it is only March, but I want to get people lined up now, at least as many as we can. I also need to get back to work on auction items for both events and sponsors for the anniversary celebration and I need to start lining up calendar sponsors. There is so much to do to pull these events together, it gets so nerve wracking. I know I go through this every year, but it never gets any easier- the worry never lessens.

Well friends, I'm off to bed. I've actually been going to bed a bit earlier and it has been helping me feel a bit more energized in the morning. So until next time...

No comments: