Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Wednesday Happenings

Hello, so what's new? well, this is going to be a short posting- I've gone to bed 2 nights in a row at 2am and I am so tired. I don't even have a good reason for going to bed that late- I wasn't doing much work, I wasn't coming in late from an event, I wasn't watching something fabulous on television or reading a good book. I've been working really hard to get to bed at a decent hour, so I need to get back on track.

I was working on getting auction items today for our anniversary event. It has been a roller coaster so far with auction items. We will not be getting a number of the items we got last year which is really disappointing. One of the worst things is when you have a good relationship with a donor, then that person leaves their job and you have to start over with a new person and the new person isn't always as helpful. On the other side, we are getting a number of commitments for items and we have some cool things donated, we did get a commitment again for one of our biggest items and I've been reaching out to new donors. I need to reach more new donors though. One of the restaurants that usually donates to us is actually going to be donating a larger gift certificate than they have ever done before. On the downside, a electronics store that usually donates a $25 gift card for our raffle said they are doing no charitable donations this year. That was quite disappointing, especially since they are a very large company and personally, I have spent many thousands of dollars there over the years. I'm also trying to get show tickets and other fun stuff. I really wish I had help in doing this. It takes a lot of time to research new potential donors, contact places, make follow up calls, etc. Every time I start working on auction items, I only plan to spend an hour doing it, but then three hours go by and I'm still working on the same thing.

I went to a networking event tonight in Boston. It went well, I think I made some good contacts. I have quite a few people I need to follow up with in the morning. I have a meeting tomorrow with a potential date auction sponsor that I met at last week's networking event. Hopefully, I will have good news to report tomorrow night! I really feel that I'm getting a lot more out of the networking events that I've been attending. I've learned a lot about networking through the DWC networking group that I belong to and now that I'm putting what I've learned to use, I'm getting a lot more out of these events.

Well, that's it for tonight. My eyes are hurting and I'm off to bed. Please wish me luck for tomorrow's meeting! Until next time friends..

No comments: