Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Getting Back on Track

It's been so comforting to read the stories of the people who rushed to help those who were injured in the Marathon attacks. There are so many brave and wonderful people out there. It is proof that those who wish to do harm and cause terror will not prevail- the collective spirit of the majority who are good and genuine will triumph in the end.

Today was a more productive work day. I zoomed up to Holden to do the donation that I was supposed to do on Friday. They give out a lot of stuffed animals to children and they were happy to have the additional books and coloring books/crayons for children who come into the station for a variety of reasons. The department has a lovely new station since I had been there last. I was talking to the Chief about the beautiful department that Nantucket has and it was the same architect who designed both stations. You can see some of the similarities.

In good news, we have a new sponsor for the Anniversary Celebration. It is a bank which is expanding into the local area. It is always excellent to have new sponsors on board. Now, I need to keep getting new ones and making sure all the previous sponsors match at the same level as last year.

In not so good news, we are going to have to find a new venue for the Date Auction. We got word this afternoon that Gypsy Bar will no longer be able to host us this year. I started making some calls and I'm meeting with a potential venue on Friday who would like to host our event. The only issue is that their space is a little on the smaller side. I also spoke with one of our hosts who has a lot of connections with venues and he is helping with securing a new venue. I'm confident that we will get the new place booked soon.

In other good news- ticket sales are moving along well for the fashion show at Copley Place next Thursday. We've sold more tickets than the fall show which is great. It is going to be a great event and hopefully a nice way for people to relax and have fun which is much needed after the horror on Monday.

Well, that's the latest for tonight. I'm off to eat an orange. Yes, an orange- not a grapefruit!  Grapefruit season is pretty much over- they're going up in price, so I'm now transitioning over to oranges- that season is pretty much over as well, but they were on sale at Market Basket. In the interest of saving money, I actually removed my loved (but increasingly more expensive) grapefruits from my shopping cart and replaced them with a bag of oranges which were on sale. Now, if I win the lottery one day- I will be able to eat grapefruits regardless of the price! Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: