Monday, April 15, 2013

Sad Day

It was a sad and shocking day with the bombings at the Boston Marathon today. My heart goes out to those who were killed and injured and their families. I can only imagine the pain they are going through. It was supposed to be such a happy day for so many people who were accomplishing something so special and for it to turn into such a tragedy is simply awful. It is shocking how quickly things change- a normal day turns shocking. I was sending an email about the fashion show when I switched back to Facebook, partially out of a bad FB habit, and I saw the Boston Globe update about an explosion at the Marathon- from then it got worse as the news came out. It is horrible to think of this happening anywhere, but somehow, it is even worse that it happened in the city I love.

It doesn't seem right to talk about anything else right now. All my worries about sponsors, grants, money and the like seems trivial when you see things happen like they did today. I was thinking about that actually when I was driving up to Gardner on Friday to do a donation to the police department. It was raining lightly at home and I had seen weather reports that it would be sleet up north- where I was heading, but I didn't pay that much attention to it- partly because it was only light rain at home, partly because it was almost mid-April and I figured that it couldn't be that bad- so I headed up to Gardner.  It was just rain for most of the ride, but on Rt. 2, only a few miles before my exit, the temperature dropped and there was heavy sleet and the road conditions quickly deteriorated. I drove past one accident and on the way home, drove past 4 more accidents on Rt. 2. It was dicey driving- very slow going and nerve wracking, but I made it home without incident. As I drove and looked at the wrecked cars, it was such a reminder of how quickly things change. Those drivers didn't set out that morning thinking they were going to wreck their car, but things happen and lives can change in an instant. The people who were watching the marathon definitely didn't think that their lives would be torn apart on what should have been such a happy day. It's like the children that we aim to help- they are all in situations that they had no control over.  They are innocent victims of accidents, abuse, injuries and a wide range of other traumatic situations. It is so sad to think of all the horrific things that go on every day, all over the world. My goal with Project Smile is to help in some small way to alleviate some of the fear and pain that children go through. There's so much that we have no control over- today was one of those days. I'm so saddened by what happened today and my heart goes out to all those who were effected and their loved ones. Until tomorrow friends...

No comments: