Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Asking

So what's new? Well, we did our 152nd and 153rd donation today- Everett Police and Everett Fire Department. It went well as usual, except that we got lost and drove in circles around a rotary for more times than I would like to admit- a very busy rotary at that. Tomorrow, it will be our 154th department with Billerica Police. I also did some calendar photos this afternoon. Calendar photos are going slowly, I think we are only about half way through. It always takes a while to schedule them, but this year seems to be slower than usual. The photos are coming out great though- I've fallen in love with a photo of a Hopkinton officer's little daughter- she is sitting on top of the cruiser holding a stuffed animal- it is such a beautiful photo. I'm thinking about using it for the cover, but I'm not sure yet. I still have to see how the others come out.

It's so important to just ask for things- I know it sounds so simple, but sometimes it can be difficult to ask. I've heard that's a more female problem- men don't usually have trouble asking for what they want. Sometimes, I've found myself hesitating to ask for a donation sometimes because I feel like we won't get it. I have to keep reminding myself that if you don't ask, you definitely won't be getting anything. I'm not a mind reader, I can't predict the future and I can't expect other people to read my mind.

I did get a bit of disappointing news yesterday. We had appplied for a $1,000 grant from a local discount retail chain a few months ago, and just received a $100 gift certificate yesterday. I am glad to have something, so I don't want to appear ungrateful, but we really need the money, so it was rather disappointing. I never shop for our supplies at this store and the certificate specifies that it needs to be used in its entirety, so I think I will buy items that we can turn into gift baskets for the silent auction. That way, we can probably turn that $100 into something more. We get our coloring books cheaper elsewhere, so there is no point in buying them there. I hate having to use the entire amount all at once, some locations may have better items than others, so it would be better to shop around and buy different things at different locations. Anyways, I don't mean to be complaining- it was nice that they sent us something. It's just the grant money is so small right now, it is stressful. We should be hearing about the $5,000 grant any day now, so I am keeping my fingers/toes/legs/arms crossed for good luck.

Well, I need to go get our Billerica donation ready for tomorrow morning- I have to be out the door relatively early, so it is easier to get things ready tonight. There are lots of other things going on too, but I'm too tired to remember right now. Until next time friends..

No comments: